Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pizza Hut never tasted so good

Well, it probably has tasted so good in the past, but I can honestly say I have never been quite this excited about a trip to Pizza Hut.

Many of you were concerned about and have asked about how I have adjusted to the food here. For those of you who know me, you know Chinese has never been my first choice (or second or third...) when choosing what type of food to eat. I will say though that I have really enjoyed authentic Chinese food. The Chinese have this great way of eating meals (at least in restaurants) where you sit around this large round table with a huge lazy susan in the middle. The host orders for the group and the food comes out "family style." As the food passes, you use your chopsticks to get what you want on your plate. That's where my problem lies...the chopsticks. I have to say that eating with chopsticks is a great way to lose weight, even inadvertantly, especially for people like me who can't quite use them yet. I feel like a kid learning how to hold a pencil all over again. I considered it a great victory the other day when I was able to pick up a squishy mushroom and a slippery slice of papaya. I bought some pink training chopsticks at the market (they have a little guy on the top connecting the two sticks), but Mikey told me they wouldnt sit with me in public if I pulled them out :)

So, back to Pizza Hut tasting so good. Along with learning to pick up food and getting it into my mouth, my appetite has been on the fritz since I arrived in China. I am asleep when it knows to eat, and awake when it's normally used to sleeping (not that your stomach sleeps, but you know what I mean). Sunday night it finally hit me....I was hungry, really hungry. And I really, really wanted pizza. A big, fat, greasy slice of pizza. So we finally made it to Pizza Hut tonight, and it has never tasted so good. Enjoy a few pics of my first Chinese Pizza Hut experience and meet my new "family"...


Jona and Mariah

Heidi, me, and Mikey
By the way, the Pizza Hut menu here also includes smoothies, fries, chicken wings, steak, escargot, squid, and an assortment of desserts, among many other things. I decided to stick with what I know for tonight :) So next time you sit down to eat a slice of pizza, enjoy it. Really enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. I find this so funny because when we are in Uganda my favorite place to eat is at an authentic Chinese restaurant in town. I have so many good memories of sitting at the big round table with the lazy susan surrounded by African friends. Talk about multicultural! But I don't do chop sticks either. I'm hopeless.

    ReplyDelete